Transitions | 3rd Annual Fall Juried Exhibition | SUBMISSION FORM
Martin Nelson | Juror
Martin Nelson was born in Minneapolis and grew up in Willmar, Minnesota. He moved to Brainerd in 2010 and has been involved in the arts and community in the area since that time.
He was the Director and Curator of the Franklin Arts Center Resident Artists Gallery for five years, until stepping down at the end of 2015 to focus on other projects. During that time he worked with and exhibited the artwork of 365 artists from across the country, as well as many countries outside of the U.S. Along with his gallery team at the time, they put together a total of 48 exhibitions (36 group/ 12 solo), bringing in new artwork, artists, and creative ideas to the local community.
Martin primarily works as a mixed media collage artist, but does painting, sculptural, and installation work as well. He creates his artwork with the use of found materials and an abundance of old magazines, books, newspapers, and other interesting printed matter collected in the studio. His work covers many topics including the environment, history, culture, mass media, and human interaction within all things.
He has exhibited his work at the Plains Art Museum, Fargo, ND, and Minneapolis Institute Of Arts, Minneapolis, MN, along with other select galleries and exhibition spaces both locally and nationally. He lives in Brainerd, MN and works out of his studio located in the Franklin Arts Center. Currently, he is also Co-Owner/Director/Curator of The New Bohemian Gallery, and volunteer on the exhibition and planning committee for the Crossing Arts Alliance Gallery.
He is excited to be back jurying this exhibition, and looks forward to viewing the artwork that is submitted from local artists, as well as those from across the country.
EXHIBITION RULES | INFORMATION
The Franklin Arts Center Resident Artists Gallery, presents, Transitions, our 3rd Annual Fall Juried Exhibition. This year, we are excited to announce that Martin Nelson will be our guest juror for this exhibition. We invite artists from all over, working in all mediums, to submit artwork to be juried into this exhibition. There is no particular theme for this show. Artwork can relate to the title "Transitions", but it is not required. This group exhibition will be on display in our gallery through September - October.
Online Entry/Submission Deadline: Monday, August 22nd, 2016
Franklin Arts Center Resident Artists Gallery, Located inside the Franklin Arts Center, in Brainerd, Minnesota
Calendar Of Events
Online Entry/Submission Deadline: Monday, August 22, 2016
Notification Of Acceptance: Tuesday, August 23, 2016
Deadline For Dropped Off Artwork: Saturday, September 3rd, 2016, 10:00 am - 3:00 pm at Rare Birds Studio 221, Franklin Arts Center
Deadline For Shipped Artwork: Saturday, September 3, 2016
Opening Reception - Friday, September 9, 2016
Exhibition Opens - Saturday, September 10, 2016
Exhibition Closes - Saturday, October 29, 2016
* All artwork, whether dropped off or shipped, must arrive to the gallery by the dates listed above. Any artwork that arrives after these dates will not be included in the exhibition.
Shipping | Dropping Off Artwork
All artwork for this exhibition can be shipped to the gallery, at the following address:
c/o Steven or Holly McKnight
1001 Kingwood Street, #206
Brainerd, MN 56401
If you are dropping off artwork, it can be done so on the following day and time:
Saturday, September 3rd 2016
10:00 am - 3:00 pm
At Rare Birds Studio 221 Franklin Arts Center
Established and emerging artists, working in any media are encouraged to submit artwork, including but not limited to: painting, drawing, printmaking, design, photography, ceramics, sculpture, fiber, and video as long as the piece follows the guidelines below.
- Both 2D and 3D artwork will be accepted.
- All 2D artwork must be able to hang on the wall, and be no larger then 6' x 6' in size.
- All 3D artwork must be able to either sit on a pedestal of 12" x 12", or be able to be free standing within our gallery space.
- All artwork must arrive to the gallery ready to hang or display, with proper wiring and hanging systems, or displaying instructions.
- Artists can submit 2 pieces with a submission fee of $15, and up to 2 additional pieces at $5 each. Payment can be made through Paypal at the end of the submission form. Fees are nonrefundable.
- All artwork should be clearly labeled with the following: artist's name, artwork title, medium, dimensions, date of completion, and sale price.
- All artwork will remain in the gallery for the entire time period of the exhibition.
- All artists are responsible for both initial and return shipping of any artwork that is sent to the gallery. Please include any return shipping labels with your artwork.
- The Franklin Arts Center Resident Artists Gallery retains 25% commission of any sales made during the exhibition.
- All artwork, whether dropped off or shipped, must arrive to the gallery by Saturday, September 3, 2016. Any artwork that arrives after this date will not be included in the exhibition.
- Any artwork that is not picked up after 30 days of the arranged pick up date, or if no communication has been established regarding the pickup, 30 days after the end of the show, the work will be considered abandoned and will then become property of the gallery, and may be disposed of or considered donated. All artwork shipped must have paid return postage included in the shipment. In the event return postage is not included we must make arrangements to get postage before artwork is returned. If no communication has been established and no arrangements made for return shipping 30 days after the end of the show, the work will be considered abandoned and will then become property of the gallery, and may be disposed or donated.
- If you are unable to drop off or pick up your artwork on the given dates and times, please contact the Franklin Arts Center Resident Artists Gallery, so other arrangements can be made.
- The gallery will provide exhibition posters, along with online promotion through our website and various social media sites.
- The gallery will provide a free opening reception, which will be open to the public. All artists are invited to attend, along with people from the community and elsewhere.
- All artwork that is submitted may be photographed by gallery staff and used for promotion and other purposes online on our website and social media sites.
- The Franklin Arts Center, Franklin Arts Center Resident Artists Gallery, and our gallery staff and directors, are not responsible for artwork that is damaged or stolen while the artwork is being shipped, or while the artwork is on display during the exhibition. Our gallery staff will do their best to handle all artwork with care and consideration.
- The Franklin Arts Center Resident Artists Gallery staff and director has the authority to hang and/or display the artwork provided in an arrangement that fits the gallery best. In addition, the gallery director has the sole discretion to remove any artwork from the gallery display, at any time, as they see fit.